2.19.2010

envelope generator



Well, this was quite the interesting experience.

I recently encountered the above graphic while browsing an intriguing flickr stream (more about that in a future post). I'm guessing that most of my readers will most likely see this as an evocative sequence of words. A sequence that invites one to imagine the story that they are perhaps a part of.

Attack. Followed by decay. Then sustain. And, finally, release.

Personally, I was stunned. Over the past 40 years or so, I imagine that I have spoken those words (or their acronymic equivalent, ADSR), in exactly that order, literally hundreds (maybe even thousands) of times. And never once, before seeing that graphic, thought of them together in terms of their primary meanings and their potential stories. And now, thanks to that graphic, I will never fail to see them in those terms again.

Context is, indeed, everything.

(For those curious, my previous context here.)

2 comments:

nancyenge said...

As an MI outsider-insider as well as an engineering bystander of some 20+ years, I have always read (and heard) our industry’s language as somewhat distracting. ”Envelope” alone conjures quite a different set of associations and concerns for me, never mind ”onset delay“ or ”register & spread“.
9000 is awesome, thank you!

Erin O'Brien said...

Can I start with the beginner envelope, please?